Sunday, October 31, 2010

Assignment 10 p1

Halldorsson, Ari. "Prescribing of Controlled Substances for Non-Patients in the Educational Setting: Review of the Ethical, Legal, and Moral Dilemma for Residents." Medical Education Online 12.1 (2007): 1-6. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 28 Oct. 2010.

The writer’s main points are medical worker substance abuse, laws for controlled substances, and teacher/learner relationship. Dr. Halldorsson uses these to explain different problems within the world of physician drug abuse.

“It is estimated that about 100 deaths among physicians are directly attributable to chemical dependency every year.(1)”
“Substance abuse in hospitals does not affect physicians alone and seems to be a growing problem.(2)”

I can see this article expanding on the laws behind controlled substances. I can also see how this paper will add to why physicians turn to drug abuse in the first place.

I plan on using this source to show why physicians can easily be drug dependent. I also plan on using it to show the relation between teacher and learner and how it affects becoming addicted.

I think this article is creditable because it is scholarly and is written by a doctor. This doctor works in the department of surgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.

I see this expanding on why physicians can become drug abusers so easily. It will also give a new aspect because it includes the relationship of teacher/learner with drug abuse in the medical field.

4 comments:

  1. 2. I think this source gives great insight to the profession you are interested in and also makes you think about possible risks that are involved with this career choice.

    3. I would suggest trying to get an interview as a source. Getting a personal perspective from someone who has lived your topic provides invaluable information to your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. above was posted by ashley maphis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree that you should interview someone personally because so far it seems that your research is from a professional point of view, which is great but I think someone who has lived through this hardship will prove points and add to your paper.

    -Sarah Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I've thought about interviewing but I haven't had much time trying to plan out work and school but I did once get to job shadow an anesthesiologist maybe I could just email him some questions

    ReplyDelete